FAQ Print

Civil FAQ

Q: How does one bid on a Mortgage foreclosed property?

Answer: Mortgage Foreclosure sales are held every Friday at 10:00 a.m. on the first floor of the Summit County Court House, located at 209 S. High Street, Akron, Ohio. The bidding process can be competitive and the highest bidder purchases the property. Once bidding is completed, the winning bid purchaser(s) must submit a deposit at the time of the acceptance of the bid. The remaining balance is to be paid within thirty days of the filing of the Confirmation Order.

Q: How does one bid on a Delinquent Tax foreclosed property?

Answer: Delinquent Tax Foreclosure sales, when scheduled, are held on Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m. on the first floor of the Summit County Court House, located at 209 S. High Street, Akron, Ohio. The bidding process can be competitive and the highest bidder purchases the property. Once bidding is completed, the winning bid purchaser(s) must submit a deposit at the time of the acceptance of the bid. The remaining balance to be paid within thirty days of the filing of the Confirmation Order.  

Q: May I view the property prior to or after the sale?
Answer: No, There is no formal process to view the property prior to or after the sale. These properties are sold sight unseen, as is, buyer beware.  The Sheriff’s Office does not have access to the inside of the property, at any time.  Nor, can the Sheriff’s Office get you access at any time.  This includes appraisals for bank loans also. 

Q: Is cash required in order to purchase or bid?
Answer: The terms of sale/payment: cash, money order, and cashier’s check. Letters of credit or personal checks are not accepted.  You must have your deposit with you at the sale.  You do NOT have time to leave and come back if you have the winning bid.

Q: How long does it take to obtain the deed after the purchase?
Answer: Usually all paper work and confirmations take a MINIMUM of 8 weeks. Once that is completed, the deed can be conveyed, transferred and recorded to the buyer.

Q: What if I can’t produce the balance in thirty days of the filing of the Confirmation?
Answer: If the balance is not received within thirty days of the filing of the Confirmation Order, the purchaser may be charged with contempt of court for failing to abide by the agreement.

Q: Am I charged interest if my balance is not paid on time?

Answer: The balance of the purchase price must be paid within 8 days of the sale, without interest.  Starting the 9th day AFTER THE SALE, interest will start to accrue.  Interest is 10% per year.  This will be broken down to a daily rate based upon the balance due and will accrue daily until paid in full. 

Q: Are there any additional fees/costs that I will be responsible for if I am the winning bidder at the sale?

Answer: The buyer may be responsible to pay additional fees over and above the purchase price, such as:  (a) Interest, if the balance is not paid within the first 8 days of the sale.  (Interest starts on the 9th day after the sale.) (b) The conveyance, lot and recording fees to transfer the Sheriff’s Deed. (c) Taxes that are prorated through the date of sale.

Q: How do I find out what my Pay-Off balance will be?

Answer: You MUST CALL THE OFFICE to obtain your pay-off amount due.  Please provide the date that you want to pay the balance so that we can calculate the exact amount due for you.  If you do not contact our office prior to coming into our office with your pay-off amount and the amount is wrong, then you will be required to have your payment corrected if it is not the EXACT amount required. 

Q: Can my pay-off balance payment be a personal check?

Answer: No.  The Terms of Payment remain the same as the deposit:  cash, money order, or cashier’s check.  No personal or business checks are accepted.

Q: To whom do I make my deposit and/or pay-off check payable?

Answer: Please have your funds payable to the SUMMIT COUNTY SHERIFF.

Q: What are your hours of operation?  When are you open?

Answer: The Civil Division is open Monday-Friday, from 7:30am to 4:00pm.  We are NOT open on weekends or holidays.

Q: I received a tag on my door indicating the Sheriff has papers for me. Can you tell me what it is about? Answer: No, once notified you must report to the office of the Civil Division located in the basement of the Summit County Court House to obtain the papers. The deputy will not return. Please bring positive identification with you.

Q: I received a restraining order today ordering me out of the house. Can I go to the house and pick up some items?
Answer: You must read the order in its entirety. All ex-parte orders require you to have a police officer escort you when returning to your house to pick up items. Any violation of the order could lead to arrest.

Q: I received an immobilization order on my car from a Judge. Can I drive to work?
Answer: Only the Court who issued the Violation/Immobilization can grant work-driving privileges. No deputy has that authority.

Q: I was served with an eviction order stating I must be off the property in three days. If I am not out by then what happens?
Answer: If the property is not vacated a deputy and a representative from the landlord’s attorney will gain entry to the property and any items inside will be taken to a storage unit. If the cost of the storage is not paid to the landlord within thirty days, any property stored will become theirs. The Sheriff does not place eviction property on the curb.

Q: What is a Writ of Possession? What happens if I’ve been served with a Writ of Possession?  What happens if I’m not out of the property by the time given to me?

Answer: A Writ of Possession is the Eviction Process as the result of the Judicial Court Foreclosure process and Sheriff Sale.  If you’ve been served with a Writ of Possession, the deputy will check the property after 10 days and if you are still living in the property or still have belongings in the property, then an eviction will be set.  If you are not out of the property by the scheduled day and time, then you will be evicted.  Your items will be put into storage; which then you will be responsible to pay before you can get them out of storage.


The End

Criminal FAQ

Q: Can you tell me if there is a warrant or capias for my arrest over the phone?
Answer: No, those questions can only be answered in person after the presentation of proper identification.

Q: Where do I post bond for a family member.
Answer: Bond is posted at the Summit County Common Pleas Clerks Office, located at 205 South High St.. The phone number is (330) 643-2217.

Q: What Police Agency handles drug cases in Summit County?
Answer: Most of the larger police agencies in Summit County have their own narcotics units and investigate cases in their jurisdiction. The Summit County Drug Unit has jurisdiction throughout Summit County, and because it is also staffed with State and Federal Agents, can follow cases throughout the United States. Often the Summit County Drug Unit works closely with and supports local agency drug units.

Q: How can I get information to a narcotics investigator?
Answer: The Summit County Drug Unit can be contacted 24 hours a day at (330) 643-2170. The information will be held in confidence and information may be left anonymously.

Q: How is a Detective assigned to a case?
Answer: When a crime is reported to a deputy, they begin the field investigation and the report is processed through a Patrol Supervisor. Once it has been determined the case needs more investigation, the report is sent to the Detective Bureau. The case is then reviewed by an Investigative supervisor who makes the case assignment based on the Detective’s availability and caseload.

Q: How do I contact the Detective assigned to my case?
Answer: Once a detective is assigned to your case, they will contact you. If you have not heard from a detective you may contact the Detective Bureau at (330) 643-2131 to determine if an investigator has been assigned to your case.

Q: Is there anyone I can speak with about domestic violence?
Answer: For an immediate response to a domestic violence situation, call the Sheriff’s Communications Unit to have a deputy dispatched. The Sheriff’s Office has deputies trained in dealing with domestic violence cases and may be contacted by requesting to speak with one at (330) 643-2181.

Q: How long after my birthday do I have to renew my driver’s license?
Answer: The State of Ohio driver’s license expires on your birthday of the expiration year. There is no grace period allowing you to drive.

Q: Are my license plates good until the end of the expiration month?
Answer: No, your license plates expire on your birth date and your vehicle may be towed for displaying expired plates.

Q: How do I get my car out of impound?
Answer: If the vehicle has been towed for a traffic violation which includes an administrative suspension, the release must be obtained from the third floor of the Sheriff’s Patrol Bureau, 53 University Avenue, (330) 643-2147. Any release for a towed vehicle, not under suspension, may be obtained from the local Sheriff’s post. In all instances, you must show proof of ownership, insurance and identification. Once a release is obtained, present it to the impound lot operator for a release. Remember, without proof of insurance, the vehicle must be towed from the impound lot.

The End

Community Policing FAQ

Q: What services are provided by the Summit County Sheriff's Off Records and Identification bureau, and what costs are associated with them?
Answer: Please click on the link to the right: Records/ID

Q: Is there any equipment or displays Sheriff Alexander can provide to be viewed at our community event?
Answer: There are items of equipment from the Sheriff’s Office that can be made available for display at community events. Items like the P.T.77 Cruiser, D.A.R.E. vehicles, Sheriff's Office Mounted Patrol, and the Bomb Disposal unit, (when not in use) are available for display. Contact the Community Policing Office at (330) 643-8617 for more information.

Q: Do you have a Speaker’s Bureau?
Answer: A Speaker’s Bureau is available for local events and deputies will speak on various subjects including self-defense for women, Neighborhood Watch, identity theft and many other subjects. Contact the Community Policing Office at (330) 643-8617 for more information.

Q: What is Safety City?
Answer: Safety City is a weeklong safety program for kindergarten age children that teaches traffic safety and other safety issues in a classroom setting. The program is taught by D.A.R.E. officers during the summer months at various primary schools in the Sheriff’s jurisdiction. For more information, call (330) 644-0085.

Q: Does The Sheriff's Office have a "speed trailer" and how do I get it on my street?
Answer: The Patrol Bureau operates two "smart trailers" for speed control in neighborhoods and heavily traveled roadways. To discuss traffic complaints and schedule the trailer, call Community Policing Office at (330) 643-8617 for more information.


Employment FAQ

Q: How do I apply for a possition with the Summit County Sheriff's Office?

Answer: All Sheriff and County positions will be listed on Summit County website https://jobs.summitoh.net/ as they become available. To apply for a job posting, follow the procedure below:

 If you have any questions, you may contact our Personnel Department at (330) 643-2154.

Q: What qualifications are required to become a Deputy Sheriff?
Answer: You must be twenty-one years old with no felony convictions and possess basic police officer training that is certified by the Ohio Peace Officer’s Training Commission (OPOTA).

Q: How do I obtain the OPOTA training?
Answer: The Training Bureau of the Summit County Sheriff’s Office conducts a "Basic Peace Officer Training Academy" each September for qualified candidates. Each cadet must pass a rigorous background investigation and physical fitness examination prior to acceptance into the Academy.

Q: What is the cost of the Basic Peace Officer training?
Answer: The tuition for the Training Academy course in Basic Peace Officer Certification is $3,000.00, plus the cost of uniforms, firearm and duty equipment.

Q: How long is the Peace Officer Training course and what are the hours?
Answer: The Academy begins in September and ends in June, which includes seven weeks of "Basic Corrections" training. Class hours are from 6:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M. Tuesday through Friday and 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. on Saturdays.

Q: How to I apply for the Academy?
Answer: Applications may be obtained from Sheriff Barry’s Training Center located at 2825 Greensburg Rd. Green, OH 44720 (330) 896-4019. The office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. Completed applications must be returned no later than May 1st.

Q: How is a deputy promoted to detective?
Answer: The assignment to detective status is not a promotion but a lateral transfer. Assignment to the duties of a detective is just one of many duties a deputy may have in his/her career.

The End


Find us on Facebook